Updated: 10/08/2012 13:49 | By pa.press.net

Boucher: No hope for quick return



An eye injury sustained during a tour match last month forced Mark Boucher to retire

An eye injury sustained during a tour match last month forced Mark Boucher to retire

Former South Africa wicketkeeper Mark Boucher admits he is "unlikely to play professional cricket in the near future" as a result of the horrific eye injury he sustained last month.

The 35-year-old had to leave the Test tour of England following the injury he suffered when a bail hit him in the eye in a tour match at Taunton on July 9 and it was confirmed the following day he had retired from international cricket.

Following an emergency operation in England, he flew home for further surgery in Cape Town, with his medical team later reporting they were optimistic Boucher had a "reasonable recovery" of the vision in his left eye.

On Wednesday, Boucher faced the South African media for the first time since the accident and revealed the full extent of the injury in a statement which was also released through Cricket South Africa.

"It has been a difficult time for me mentally and physically," he said. "I have lost the lens, iris and pupil in my left eye. There was severe damage to my retina. I have had two major operations and four blood draining operations in the past three weeks and physically, at times, I have been in a lot of pain.

"It is unlikely that I will play any professional cricket again in the near future, which is very unfortunate as I was looking forward to contributing as a player for the Cobras. The risk of additional damage to my left eye or even damage to the other eye, doesn't warrant it."

Boucher, who announced his retirement within 24 hours of the incident, revealed he had been inundated with messages of support since. Aside from thanking his family and friends, the South African also paid tribute to his team-mates.

"I have been overwhelmed by the incredible support I have received," he said. "Thank you to CSA and SACA for standing by me, to the Cobras for supporting me...and to the Proteas' Castle Lager squad - thank you for the amazing memories."

Boucher also voiced his determination as he continues on the road to recovery, saying: "I don't want people to feel sorry for me. Injuries happen and this could have happened earlier on in my career.

"I am incredibly grateful for the length of career that I have had and the amazing things I have experienced and people I have met during that time. This is just another challenge in my life and something that I will be working to overcome."

0Comments
10 reasons to make MSN UK your homepage (© Microsoft)

latest cricket news

  • Peter Moores has left Lancashire to coach England

    Peter Moores is confident he will make the most of his second chance to coach England.

  • ECB managing director Paul Downton has stressed England are moving on without Kevin Pietersen, pictured

    Kevin Pietersen, and his supporters, can no longer be in the slightest doubt that he will ever play for England again - after the clearest of management statements at Lord's.

  • Marcus Trescothick is understanding of Jonathan Trott's situation

    Stricken England batsman Jonathan Trott has been told the door is always open for advice and support by one of the few men able to empathise with his current malaise, Marcus Trescothick.

  • Jonathan Trott is to take a second break from cricket

    Jonathan Trott is to take a second break from professional cricket because of his stress-related illness.

  • Ben Stokes is currently injured

    Ben Stokes will have to remain patient before he can start to make up for time he has lost due to a self-inflicted injury.

  • Ben Stokes is hoping to put his troubles behind him

    Ben Stokes is learning the hard way, for the second time in his life, that he must keep his anger under control if he is to make the most of his outstanding natural talent.

  • Gary Kirsten believes more coaches will opt for the IPL over Test cricket

    Gary Kirsten believes that the all-year demands of international coaching may lead many to look for employment in tournaments such as the Indian Premier League, rather than pursue Test cricket jobs.

  • Alastair Cook believes county players have an excellent chance to advance their claims for a Test spot

    England captain Alastair Cook has admitted the team's recent struggles mean there are "quite a few places up for grabs".

  • Ed Joyce's Sussex are the early leaders in LV= County Championship Division One

    Captain Ed Joyce's second century of the match carried Sussex to victory number two, over Warwickshire at Edgbaston, and into an early lead in the new LV= County Championship Division One season.

  • Sam Robson's century enhanced his England chances

    England hopeful Sam Robson has targeted more big scores for Middlesex to strengthen his claim to international selection this summer.

  • Andrew Flintoff may be pleasing the crowds again this summer, at St Annes

    Andrew Flintoff may be about to return to his roots this summer, by turning out for his old club side St Annes.

  • Kevin Pietersen, left, appeared to welcome Peter Moores' reappointment as England coach

    Kevin Pietersen appeared to give his backing to England's decision to grant Peter Moores a second chance as their head coach.

  • Australia's Chris Rogers has hinted he could retire next year

    Australia opener Chris Rogers has suggested that "in an ideal world" he would retire after next year's Ashes series in England.

  • Peter Moores is expected to return to his old job as England coach after five years

    Peter Moores is set for a dramatic return as England head coach and will be unveiled on Saturday morning, Press Association Sport understands.

  • James Anderson thinks the onus is on the players to turn England's fortunes around this summer

    James Anderson believes this winter's Ashes flops must take the responsibility of leading England into their new era.