Updated: 02/09/2012 13:55 | By pa.press.net

Button keen to join the '300 club'



Jenson Button is still hungry to race in Formula One

Jenson Button is still hungry to race in Formula One

Jenson Button sees no reason why he will not become the third member of Formula One's exclusive '300 club' in the future.

This weekend in Belgium Michael Schumacher will chalk up his 300th grands prix, a feat only previously achieved by Rubens Barrichello, who holds the record for races entered at 326. With 221 grands prix to his name, Button is seventh on the all-time list and if desired could easily surpass Barrichello's milestone.

At present the spirit is certainly willing to continue as the 32-year-old said: "It's four and a half years of racing. I really don't know how I'm going to feel in a couple of years' time, but now, of course, the hunger is there. If I lose that, that's when I'll stop. If I'm in a position where I get the choice to retire it's the best position to be in. But it's a long time before I need to start thinking of that."

In respect of his achievement, Schumacher has been declared an honorary citizen of Spa, his second such award after Maranello, the home of Ferrari for whom he won five drivers' titles.

Schumacher readily concedes he never dreamed of 300 grands prix, certainly not upon his retirement at the end of 2006.

"At one point there was talk about whether somebody would be able to beat Riccardo Patrese's record of 250-whatever (256)," said the seven-times world champion.

"I said 'forget that, it isn't interesting for me', but now here we are and I'm counting the 300.

"It's certainly an interesting, beautiful and nice number to be around."

related stories on msn

0Comments
10 reasons to make MSN UK your homepage (© Microsoft)

latest f1 news

  • Haas F1 Team are set to join F1 in 2016

    Gene Haas has changed the name of his Formula One team ahead of the marque's entry in 2016.

  • Vijay Mallya's debt issues have no bearing on his ability to run Force India

    Force India are adamant they remain unaffected by team co-owner Vijay Mallya's ongoing financial problems in India.

  • Fernando Alonso seems set to remain at Ferrari for at least next season

    Fernando Alonso would appear to have confirmed his intent to remain at Ferrari, despite McLaren's interest in luring him back to Woking.

  • Ross Brawn left Formula One at the end of last season after four years as team principal of Mercedes

    Ferrari team principal Marco Mattiacci has revealed he would love to see Ross Brawn back at Maranello.

  • The Honda emblem will again be on show in Formula One from 2015

    Honda are already expressing confidence they will win on their return to Formula One next season.

  • Toto Wolff confirmed there will be no pre-race agreements between Mercedes' drivers

    Nico Rosberg has been spared any on-track punishment following his collision with team-mate Lewis Hamilton in the controversial Belgian Grand Prix.

  • Nico Rosberg, right, has apologised for his collision with Lewis Hamilton at the Belgian Grand Prix

    Mercedes have decided to allow feuding team-mates Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg to continue to race this season following clear-the-air talks on Friday.

  • Red Bull team principal Christian Horner, pictured, is delighted to see Bernie Ecclestone running F1 full time again

    Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has welcomed the full-time return of Bernie Ecclestone's hand on the Formula One tiller.

  • Max Chilton was forced to look on from the pitwall in first practice at Spa last weekend as Alexander Rossi drove his car

    Alexander Rossi still has belief he will become the first American for many years to compete in Formula One before too long.

  • Caterham face a potential legal battle after axing a number of employees

    A group of former Caterham staff have started employment tribunal proceedings against the Formula One team in an effort to settle a bitter row.

  • Talks over a new Mercedes deal for Lewis Hamilton have been placed on hold

    Mercedes are to wait until this year's Formula One championship fight has been resolved before continuing new contract talks with Lewis Hamilton.

  • Ron Dennis may have to be patient to re-sign Fernando Alonso, pictured, for McLaren

    McLaren Group chairman and CEO Ron Dennis has hinted he is prepared to bide his time to land either Fernando Alonso or Sebastian Vettel.

  • The current campaign may be Jenson Button's last in Formula One

    Jenson Button has revealed for the first time he could be forced to retire from Formula One at the end of the season.

  • Former team principal Martin Whitmarsh has finally parted company with McLaren

    Martin Whitmarsh has officially parted company with McLaren after more than 24 years of service.

  • Lewis Hamilton insists he will keep it clean in his Formula One title fight with Nico Rosberg

    Lewis Hamilton has promised he will not be seeking revenge against Nico Rosberg following his Mercedes team-mate's actions in Sunday's controversial Belgian Grand Prix.