Updated: 06/06/2013 17:31 | By pa.press.net

F1 bosses in no rush over IPO



Donald Mackenzie says CVC Capital Partners would 'like to retain a stake in the business'

Donald Mackenzie says CVC Capital Partners would 'like to retain a stake in the business'

One of the men behind the proposed flotation of Formula One on the Stock Exchange has revealed the plans may again be put on hold until next year.

An Initial Public Offering (IPO) was scheduled to take place in Singapore last September, but due to the instability of the market at that time a decision was taken to delay until this year. Only last month F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone claimed the IPO would "happen this year, it will be up and running", with such a move expected to value the sport at around £6.5billion.

However, Donald Mackenzie, who is the co-founder and co-chairman of private equity firm CVC Capital Partners whose stake in F1 is just under 35 per cent, has now suggested the IPO may yet be delayed further.

"Our position on the IPO is when the market is right and the company is ready we'll look at it," said Mackenzie.

"Although the IPO market is better than it was a year ago, the company still has a few issues to sort out.

"So it may happen this year, it may be next year, but we're not in a big rush."

After taking control of F1 in 2006, CVC has over the past year sold tranches of its shares to money management firms BlackRock, Waddell & Reed and Norges, the investment division of Norway's central bank, reducing its stake from just over 63 per cent to its current level.

The IPO would appear to suggest CVC will end its involvement in the sport for good, but not so according to Mackenzie.

"We'd like to retain a stake in the business," added Mackenzie. "We like being a shareholder, even though we get a bit of grief every so often from people who don't really know what they're talking about in my opinion.

"Selling shares in the company is not taking money out of the sport."

0Comments
10 reasons to make MSN UK your homepage (© Microsoft)

latest f1 news

  • Mercedes drivers Lewis Hamilton, left, and Nico Rosberg again appear drivers divided

    Lewis Hamilton is confident he has cleared the air with his Mercedes bosses following the team orders furore at the Hungarian Grand Prix - but cannot vouch the same for team-mate Nico Rosberg.

  • Nico Rosberg was cagey when it came to questions with regard to the team orders row

    Nico Rosberg concedes he has learned "various things" following the team orders row that unfolded in Hungary, but refused to elaborate on whether clear-the-air talks were resolved to his liking.

  • Max Chilton may have driven for the last time in Formula One

    Max Chilton's future in Formula One is on the line as the Briton is out of Sunday's Belgian Grand Prix due to what Marussia describe as "contractual issues".

  • Jenson Button, pictured, can understand 16-year-old Max Verstappen's decision to make the leap into Formula One

    Jenson Button believes Max Verstappen would have been mad to turn down a Formula One drive despite criticism he is too young to race in the sport.

  • Sergio Perez expects to remain a Force India driver

    Sergio Perez appears certain of retaining his seat with Force India for 2015, although is wary of being too confident after having his fingers burned by McLaren last year.

  • Lewis Hamilton, left, and Nico Rosberg, right, have dominated their opponents

    Mercedes are ready to grind their rivals into the dirt over the second half of the Formula One season en route to clinching both the drivers' and constructors' championships.

  • Caterham's Kamui Kobayashi, pictured, will not race at Spa

    Three-times Le Mans 24 Hours winner Andre Lotterer is to race for Caterham in this weekend's Belgian Grand Prix as replacement for Kamui Kobayashi.

  • Fernando Alonso has comfortably outperformed Ferrari team-mate Kimi Raikkonen this season

    Fernando Alonso has confirmed he and team-mate Kimi Raikkonen are pulling in the same direction in a bid to haul Ferrari back to the front of the Formula One grid.

  • Lewis Hamilton is smiling again after an invigorating summer break

    As one British Formula One driver was proclaiming he feels he can now cope with anything thrown his way in the wake of recent experiences, another was left wondering whether he still has a future in the sport.

  • FIA race director Charlie Whiting has declared the Sochi Autodrom circuit fit to host this year's inaugural Russian Grand Prix

    The Russian Grand Prix has been given the green light by FIA race director Charlie Whiting following his latest inspection of the Sochi Autodrom circuit.

  • Lewis Hamilton, left, pictured with James Corden, has compared his Formula One battle with team-mate Nico Rosberg to a game of poker

    Lewis Hamilton has likened his "intense" Formula One title battle with Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg to a game of poker.

  • Teenager Max Verstappen will replace Jean-Eric Vergne, pictured, at Toro Rosso next year

    Teenager Max Verstappen is confident he can handle the pressures of the world of Formula One and insists he is not worried about the sport's dangers.

  • Sixteen-year-old Max Verstappen will race for Toro Rosso next season

    Sixteen-year-old Max Verstappen is set to become the youngest Formula One driver in history after joining Toro Rosso for the 2015 season.

  • Ferrari president Luca Di Montezemolo insists drivers Kimi Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso, pictured, are to remain with the team.

    Ferrari president Luca Di Montezemolo has hit out at suggestions Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen will leave the team at the end of the season.

  • Lewis Hamilton, left, and Nico Rosberg could be allowed to duel for the Formula One drivers' title

    Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff is confident the simmering rivalry between Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg will not boil over and has revealed the pair may be allowed to duel for the Formula One title.