Updated: 14/10/2012 14:05 | By pa.press.net

Hamilton speech plans scuppered



Lewis Hamilton was due to speak to McLaren team-mates on Saturday night

Lewis Hamilton was due to speak to McLaren team-mates on Saturday night

Lewis Hamilton was forced to cancel an event he organised for his McLaren team - because they had already signed up for a charity fun-run with team-mate Jenson Button.

Hamilton has had little chance to speak to the team about his move for Mercedes for 2013, which was confirmed in the gap between the grands prix in Singapore and Japan.

As in previous seasons, he booked out a bowling alley for the Saturday night before the Japanese Grand Prix, and planned to say a few words about his impending departure. But he had to cancel his plans.

He told several Sunday newspapers: "I booked 16 lanes at the bowling alley for Saturday night, but something else came up so the guys weren't able to do it. They were already committed before. They went for a run with JB or something like that."

There is no suggestion team members deliberately chose to shun Hamilton's planned event, but it is an unfortunate episode to emerge at the end of a week which started with a misguided Twitter attack on Button, who he wrongly believed had unfollowed him.

But Hamilton expects he will get another chance to address the team over his switch to Mercedes after a 14-year working relationship, and Press Association Sport understands the 27-year-old will visit McLaren's Woking base on Friday.

"I am sure at one stage, probably back at the factory, I will get a chance," he said.

"I'm pretty sure I will be able to. A lot of drivers [at McLaren] have come and gone - just left. But it's different for me.

"I have a good relationship with these people. I did my work experience here [at McLaren's headquarters in Woking] when I was at school. It was fantastic and where I built a great bond with a lot of people who are still there today.

"I will try but of course there will be people who are happy I am going, some who are unhappy I am going. Some who will be sad, some who will be supportive - that's how things are."

14Comments
14/10/2012 09:30
avatar

Mclaren really are showing how petty they are, good luck in jenson leading the team nxt year, you'll need it.

Cant believe the car they gave him today, it couldnt even go in a straight line without lewis working the steering wheel hard, its pretty obvious from the last 2 races Mclaren have given up on lewis to consentrate on button and the 2013 car. Its a shame i fought Mclaren were bigger than that

14/10/2012 11:24
avatar

Geordie Middleton, You Are The First FOOL, because you are JUDGING someone without his reasons. You are VERY NARROW MINDED, thats why you could jump into a CONCLUSION like that.

 

He "LEWIS" HIMSELF KNOWS what he is gong THROUGH, so anyone who judges him on any GROUND IS LIKE MR. MIDDLETON

14/10/2012 11:44
avatar
Michael May, I always support  you your ideas.  ( what a pity)   At lap 18, the car BEGUN TO FALL APART.  Who could believe this STORY.  Even, HRT Cosworth  and Maurussia counterparts are more RELIABLE than Mclaren. Its very embarrssing to SEE HOW the strategies are FOLLOWED
15/10/2012 10:59
avatar
Lewis needs to grow up. On the track and in the way he conducts himself. He is the most attacking driver that I have seen, with only one exception, but the money pot is not the only way that true racers find their goal. Mercedes, well goog luck Lewis, you may well  find that you can not see the lights go out at the start any Grand Prix in the near future.
15/10/2012 08:51
avatar
"these people".....sums up LH's attitude quite succinctly maybe?
14/10/2012 16:31
avatar
Michael May, Even if your comments were correct(which they are not!) you cannot seriously expect McLaren to involve Hamilton in next year's car! As previously stated, Hamiltons car had problems on lap 18, by which time it was already obvious he was not going to make an impression on the front  runners, Alonso had already put him in his place at the start. Hamilton is a fool to leave McLaren for a poorer team, which Mercedes currently are, which begs the question have McLaren finally had enough of his pathetic outbursts and are not really bothered about him leaving. Since a dubious championship in 2008, all around the time that he and Mclaren were found to be cheating he has done very little, not being a real threat in any championship since and with several drivers doing far better than him in results.  He certainly won't be able to develop the mercedes, and a german manufacturer are not going to give him no 1 status over a German driver currently there. Button will finally be given the support he deserves at McLaren, at least until Perez finds his feet there.
14/10/2012 10:10
Report
Please help us to maintain a healthy and vibrant community by reporting any illegal or inappropriate behavior. If you believe a message violates theCode of Conductplease use this form to notify the moderators. They will investigate your report and take appropriate action. If necessary, they report all illegal activity to the proper authorities.
Categories
100 character limit
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Get the Bing Sports App for Windows 8 (© Microsoft)

latest f1 news

  • Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff  left  and non-executive chairman Niki Lauda have had their hands full this season controlling Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg

    Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff has described Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg as "almost like...enemies" in their head-to-head battle for this year's Formula One world title.

  • The FIA has clarified what information can and cannot be relayed over a radio between team and driver during a grand prix

    The FIA has issued clarification with regard to the use of radio messages throughout future grands prix.

  • Toto Wolff has called on the FIA for clarification of the ban on radio messages

    Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff fears controversy is inevitable following the FIA's decision to ban certain radio transmissions at future Formula One grands prix.

  • McLaren CEO Ron Dennis, pictured, believes re-invention is necessary for survival in Formula One

    Ron Dennis believes Formula One teams need to re-invent themselves if they are to survive in the current multi-media world and attract a wider fan base.

  • The 2015 races in Singapore, pictured, and Japan will be staged on back-to-back weekends

    Formula One is set for a record-equalling 20-race schedule in 2015 following confirmation of next season's calendar.

  • The super licence debate has been fuelled by Toro Rosso's decision to hand Max Verstappen a drive for next season when he will be just 17 years old

    The FIA is to overhaul its system with regard to the issuance of the super licence required to compete in Formula One.

  • FIA race director Charlie Whiting wants less help given to drivers during races

    The FIA has decided to ban all radio transmissions at future grands prix deemed to help the driver with his on-track performance.

  • Luca Di Montezemolo has announced he will step down as Ferrari chairman

    Ferrari chairman Luca Di Montezemolo will step down next month and Fiat chief executive Sergio Marchionne is set to take on the role.

  • Michael Schumacher is to return to his home in Switzerland for the first time in nine months

    Michael Schumacher is to continue his road to recovery from severe head injuries following a skiing accident in December from his home in Switzerland.

  • Max Verstappen will drive for Toro Rosso in Formula One next season

    Toro Rosso teenage prodigy Max Verstappen has earned lavish praise from all within the team following his first proper day behind the wheel.

  • Lewis Hamilton finally ended his miserable run in qualifying to claim pole position for the Italian Grand Prix

    Lewis Hamilton conjured an impressive qualifying lap to claim his first pole position for eight races ahead of the Italian Grand Prix.

  • Ron Dennis, pictured, has promised Jenson Button and Kevin Magnussen an answer on their future before the end of the season

    McLaren Group chairman Ron Dennis has promised he will announce his 2015 driver line-up before the end of the season.

  • Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton has vowed to continue his no-holds-barred approach this season

    Lewis Hamilton has vowed to continue taking risks in his bid to beat Mercedes rival Nico Rosberg to this year's Formula One world title.

  • Toto Wolff hopes changes to the driver line-up will not happen at Mercedes

    Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff has made it clear changing his driver line-up represents a worst-case scenario he is convinced will never happen.

  • Jenson Button is playing it cool with regards to his Formula One future

    Jenson Button concedes his years of experience have taught him to be "massively relaxed" about his Formula One future.