Updated: 24/06/2012 18:55 | By pa.press.net

Hard work keeps Ferrari in title hunt



Chief designer Nikolas Tombazis believes hard work and a calm approach have helped Ferrari this season

Chief designer Nikolas Tombazis believes hard work and a calm approach have helped Ferrari this season

Hard work and a calm approach have been hailed as the bedrock of Ferrari's resurgence and hoped-for title tilt this season.

Fernando Alonso's fortuitous victory in Malaysia aside there were early fears this would be a year to forget for Ferrari, but the Maranello marque have turned their season around to keep Alonso in the hunt. In particular, Ferrari have also conjured up qualifying pace, as proven by Alonso's second on the grid in Barcelona last month and third 10 days ago in Montreal.

"It's all down to a huge amount of work, from a large number of people, with particular emphasis on aerodynamics, design and production," said Ferrari chief designer Nikolas Tombazis. "It's been intense over the past few months, resulting in a big improvement in car performance."

He added: "We have worked with determination to deal with all the negative points we picked up right from the first test in the winter.

"At the start of the season we were in an uncompetitive situation, which was a big shock for me personally and for my colleagues.

"It has been a hard few months, but we put our heads down and tackled the problem calmly and I think the last few races have been a morale boost for all of us. It has made us believe we can get the job done."

It means Alonso, who led the championship after his Malaysian win and again following his third place in Monaco, goes into Sunday's European Grand Prix in Valencia just two points adrift of leader Lewis Hamilton.

Given no driver has taken a stranglehold on the championship with seven different winners from the opening seven races, it has also aided Alonso's quest. Tombazis, however, has confirmed Ferrari "reviewed the entire car" following their disastrous pre-season showing and in the build-up to the in-season test at the start of May.

Given the expectations on Ferrari, Tombazis is relatively content with how the team have hauled themselves out of the mire so far, but knows there is more to come.

Speaking ahead of this weekend's European Grand Prix in Valencia, Tombazis said: "Rightly or wrongly there is an expectation that, as Ferrari, we must be winning every race and always be competitive. At the moment we are reasonably satisfied with the point we are at now, given where we started from."

0Comments
10 reasons to make MSN UK your homepage (© Microsoft)

latest f1 news

  • Nico Rosberg finished out in front at the end of first practice for the Belgian Grand prix

    It was business as usual upon Formula One's return from its summer break with Mercedes duo Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton out in front at the end of the first practice session for the Belgian Grand Prix.

  • Marussia's Max Chilton will now compete in this weekend's Belgian Grand Prix after all

    Max Chilton will compete in this weekend's Belgian Grand Prix following a remarkable U-turn by his Marussia team.

  • Bernie Ecclestone is adamant Formula One will be in Russia as planned

    Bernie Ecclestone has no doubt Formula One will be making its debut in Russia in early October.

  • Mercedes drivers Lewis Hamilton, left, and Nico Rosberg again appear drivers divided

    Lewis Hamilton is confident he has cleared the air with his Mercedes bosses following the team orders furore at the Hungarian Grand Prix - but cannot vouch the same for team-mate Nico Rosberg.

  • Lewis Hamilton is smiling again after an invigorating summer break

    As one British Formula One driver was proclaiming he feels he can now cope with anything thrown his way in the wake of recent experiences, another was left wondering whether he still has a future in the sport.

  • Lewis Hamilton, left, and Nico Rosberg, right, have dominated their opponents

    Mercedes are ready to grind their rivals into the dirt over the second half of the Formula One season en route to clinching both the drivers' and constructors' championships.

  • FIA race director Charlie Whiting has declared the Sochi Autodrom circuit fit to host this year's inaugural Russian Grand Prix

    The Russian Grand Prix has been given the green light by FIA race director Charlie Whiting following his latest inspection of the Sochi Autodrom circuit.

  • Lewis Hamilton, left, pictured with James Corden, has compared his Formula One battle with team-mate Nico Rosberg to a game of poker

    Lewis Hamilton has likened his "intense" Formula One title battle with Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg to a game of poker.

  • Teenager Max Verstappen will replace Jean-Eric Vergne, pictured, at Toro Rosso next year

    Teenager Max Verstappen is confident he can handle the pressures of the world of Formula One and insists he is not worried about the sport's dangers.

  • Sixteen-year-old Max Verstappen will race for Toro Rosso next season

    Sixteen-year-old Max Verstappen is set to become the youngest Formula One driver in history after joining Toro Rosso for the 2015 season.

  • Nico Rosberg was cagey when it came to questions with regard to the team orders row

    Nico Rosberg concedes he has learned "various things" following the team orders row that unfolded in Hungary, but refused to elaborate on whether clear-the-air talks were resolved to his liking.

  • Ferrari president Luca Di Montezemolo insists drivers Kimi Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso, pictured, are to remain with the team.

    Ferrari president Luca Di Montezemolo has hit out at suggestions Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen will leave the team at the end of the season.

  • Max Chilton may have driven for the last time in Formula One

    Max Chilton's future in Formula One is on the line as the Briton is out of Sunday's Belgian Grand Prix due to what Marussia describe as "contractual issues".

  • Jenson Button, pictured, can understand 16-year-old Max Verstappen's decision to make the leap into Formula One

    Jenson Button believes Max Verstappen would have been mad to turn down a Formula One drive despite criticism he is too young to race in the sport.

  • Sergio Perez expects to remain a Force India driver

    Sergio Perez appears certain of retaining his seat with Force India for 2015, although is wary of being too confident after having his fingers burned by McLaren last year.