Updated: 02/10/2012 11:33 | By pa.press.net

Little prospect of change at Lotus



Former Renault team principal Eric Boullier has hinted his Lotus drivers are likely to remain the same next year

Former Renault team principal Eric Boullier has hinted his Lotus drivers are likely to remain the same next year

Lotus team principal Eric Boullier has all but officially confirmed Kimi Raikkonen and Romain Grosjean will form his driver pairing for a second season.

Despite Grosjean's recent one-race ban for causing a four-car pile-up at the first corner of the Belgian Grand Prix, the Frenchman has performed admirably in his first full campaign so far, finishing on the podium on three occasions, while Raikkonen, remains in the championship hunt.

Asked by Formula1.com if his driver line-up will be Raikkonen and Grosjean again, Boullier replied: "I think it will look pretty much the same as what we have this season. With Kimi we have a two-year contract, with an option."

It is certain the option will be taken up, in particular given how Raikkonen has performed and appears to be enjoying life with Lotus this season.

Explaining the change in Raikkonen compared to when he was previously in F1, Boullier added: "At the start he needed a while to get back up to pace and he probably didn't make the best out of qualifying.

"But in the race he proved himself to be a very good finisher. He had so many podiums in a row.

"And about his metamorphosis, I can say he's more experienced and more mature."

The much-needed victory that would crown the season for Lotus and Raikkonen remains elusive, but Boullier is convinced it will come as they chase Ferrari for third in the constructors' championship.

"Their (Ferrari) package is fast, but they are mainly relying on one driver (Alonso)," said Boullier. "That is fine if you are chasing the drivers' championship, but it's not the strategy if you are chasing the constructors' championship."

As for which race the team will win, Boullier said: "It's always the next one. We hoped to win in Singapore. It didn't happen, so we will move our ambitions to Japan and so on."

0Comments
10 reasons to make MSN UK your homepage (© Microsoft)

latest f1 news

  • Toto Wolff confirmed there will be no pre-race agreements between Mercedes' drivers

    Nico Rosberg has been spared any on-track punishment following his collision with team-mate Lewis Hamilton in the controversial Belgian Grand Prix.

  • Nico Rosberg, right, has apologised for his collision with Lewis Hamilton at the Belgian Grand Prix

    Mercedes have decided to allow feuding team-mates Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg to continue to race this season following clear-the-air talks on Friday.

  • Red Bull team principal Christian Horner, pictured, is delighted to see Bernie Ecclestone running F1 full time again

    Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has welcomed the full-time return of Bernie Ecclestone's hand on the Formula One tiller.

  • Max Chilton was forced to look on from the pitwall in first practice at Spa last weekend as Alexander Rossi drove his car

    Alexander Rossi still has belief he will become the first American for many years to compete in Formula One before too long.

  • Caterham face a potential legal battle after axing a number of employees

    A group of former Caterham staff have started employment tribunal proceedings against the Formula One team in an effort to settle a bitter row.

  • Talks over a new Mercedes deal for Lewis Hamilton have been placed on hold

    Mercedes are to wait until this year's Formula One championship fight has been resolved before continuing new contract talks with Lewis Hamilton.

  • Ron Dennis may have to be patient to re-sign Fernando Alonso, pictured, for McLaren

    McLaren Group chairman and CEO Ron Dennis has hinted he is prepared to bide his time to land either Fernando Alonso or Sebastian Vettel.

  • The current campaign may be Jenson Button's last in Formula One

    Jenson Button has revealed for the first time he could be forced to retire from Formula One at the end of the season.

  • Former team principal Martin Whitmarsh has finally parted company with McLaren

    Martin Whitmarsh has officially parted company with McLaren after more than 24 years of service.

  • Lewis Hamilton insists he will keep it clean in his Formula One title fight with Nico Rosberg

    Lewis Hamilton has promised he will not be seeking revenge against Nico Rosberg following his Mercedes team-mate's actions in Sunday's controversial Belgian Grand Prix.

  • Mercedes motorsport Toto Wolff  left  and non-executive chairman Niki Lauda believe they can restore peace between feuding drivers Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton

    Toto Wolff and Niki Lauda are confident they can resolve the latest crisis involving warring drivers Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg.

  • Lewis Hamilton, front, was hit on lap two by Nico Rosberg  AP

    Lewis Hamilton sensationally claimed Nico Rosberg deliberately crashed into him in Sunday's controversial Belgian Grand Prix.

  • Jenson Button feels for his former team-mate Lewis Hamilton over his run of bad luck

    Jenson Button has admitted feeling sorry for Lewis Hamilton after watching his former team-mate's Formula One world title hopes suffer a string of crushing blows.

  • Lewis Hamilton qualified second for the Belgian Grand Prix  AP

    Lewis Hamilton believes his latest qualifying issue may yet prove to be "a blessing in disguise".

  • McLaren's Jenson Button, left, feels former team-mate Lewis Hamilton, right has been handed a raw deal with luck of late

    Jenson Button has admitted feeling sorry for Lewis Hamilton after watching his former team-mate's Formula One world title hopes suffer a string of crushing blows.