Updated: 25/09/2012 16:42 | By pa.press.net

New deal for Singapore race



Singapore GP organisers have agreed a new five-year deal to stage the race

Singapore GP organisers have agreed a new five-year deal to stage the race

The Singapore Grand Prix is to remain on the Formula One calendar for another five years after organisers agreed a new five-year deal with the sport's supremo Bernie Ecclestone.

Questions marks had been raised as to the future of the race coming into this weekend's event given it is the last on the initial five-year contract signed in 2008.

The release of a provisional calendar for next season had Singapore starred, highlighting the fact it was in doubt pending a fresh deal. However, as the only night event on the F1 schedule, the grand prix has become one of the most popular on the calendar, and it would have been a major surprise if new terms had not been agreed.

Ecclestone said: "All of us, without many exceptions, like being here and this is what made it difficult for me to negotiate with the minister."

The 81-year-old was referring to Minister S. Iswaran, a member of the prime minister's office, and the second minister for home affairs and trade and industry.

Asked if Singapore would remain the only night race for the next five years, Ecclestone added: "The trouble is they've started something that's so popular worldwide that I'm sure other people are going to want to do this.

"Whether or not we're going to be happy with that I don't know, but we're very happy with what we've got in Singapore - more than happy.

"I'm very proud they had the courage to do this in the first place."

Ecclestone, however, refused to confirm the cost of the new contract, adding: "I always believe these sort of questions shouldn't be asked. A gentleman should never speak about money and last night!"

Referring to the deal only being concluded this weekend, Iswaran said: "The negotiations took some time because all parties had very specific objectives and wanted to arrive at a mutually beneficial outcome. F1 has been good for Singapore...and good for F1, adding a new dimension to the sport with a unique night race."

0Comments
10 reasons to make MSN UK your homepage (© Microsoft)

latest f1 news

  • Lewis Hamilton, centre, beat both Red Bull drivers to pole  AP

    Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff hailed Lewis Hamilton as "mega" and "in a league of his own" on the day he made British Formula One history.

  • Jenson Button is hoping for warm weather during Sunday's Chinese Grand Prix

    Jenson Button is praying the sun shines over Shanghai on Sunday if he is to salvage something from his Chinese Grand Prix weekend.

  • Fernando Alonso believes a podium may be out of reach in the Chinese Grand Prix

    A cautious Fernando Alonso has warned Ferrari fans not to expect him to be fighting for a top-three finish in Sunday's Chinese Grand Prix.

  • Red Bull did not behave fraudulently in Australia

    Red Bull avoided further punishment from the FIA this week upon the basis they did not act fraudulently during the Australian Grand Prix from which Daniel Ricciardo was disqualified.

  • Lewis Hamilton has predicted a close race in Sunday's Chinese Grand Prix

    Lewis Hamilton is steeling himself for more of a fight from his title rivals this weekend as he bids to win three grands prix in a row for the first time in his Formula One career.

  • Max Chilton fears claiming a point has now become a tough ask

    Max Chilton fears Marussia's best chance of finally breaking their points duck has disappeared for this season.

  • Ferrari president Luca Di Montezemolo appointed Marco Mattiacci as team principal following a disappointing start to the season

    Marco Mattiacci has vowed to win over the sceptics following his appointment as Ferrari's new team principal this week.

  • FIA president Jean Todt will hold fresh talks with Formula One teams over cost controls at the start of May

    Formula One faces May Day crunch talks in a bid to avert potential civil war and the demise of a number of the smaller teams.

  • Daniel Ricciardo's joy in Melbourne was short-lived

    Daniel Ricciardo has already moved on from the bitter disappointment of this week's appeal loss that denied him the best result of his Formula One career.

  • Ron Dennis and his McLaren team are contemplating legal action against Formula One rivals Red Bull

    McLaren boss Ron Dennis is planning High Court action against rivals Red Bull over a member of their technical staff who recently moved back to the Austrian team.

  • Toto Wolff feels all the ingredients at Mercedes have now come together

    Nico Rosberg has confirmed holding clear-the-air talks with Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton to ensure they know where to draw future battle lines.

  • Lewis Hamilton is currently second in the standings

    Lewis Hamilton is hoping his recent victory in Bahrain has delivered a psychological blow to Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg as they scrap over this year's Formula One world title.

  • Jenson Button has hailed the current F1 field as the best of his career

    Jenson Button believes the current Formula One field is the strongest he has experienced throughout his 15 years in the sport.

  • Luca di Montezemolo is not alone in his condemnation of the new-look Formula 1

    Ferrari president Luca Di Montezemolo has found a new ally in his war on the current state of Formula One.

  • Stefano Domenicali has stepped down from his role as team principal of Ferrari

    Stefano Domenicali said it was time for a "significant change" as he announced his resignation as team principal of Ferrari.