Updated: 31/08/2012 13:18 | By pa.press.net

Schumacher set for 300th race



Michael Schumacher will race in his 300th grand prix at Spa this weekend

Michael Schumacher will race in his 300th grand prix at Spa this weekend

Michael Schumacher returns to his "living room" this weekend on the brink of joining a highly-exclusive club.

The Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps, that has already been the scene of a number of notable achievements for the seven-times champion, will be the 300th race Schumacher has entered. Former Ferrari team-mate Rubens Barrichello, with 326 races to his name, is the only other driver to have hit the triple century of grands prix.

The 43-year-old said: "Spa is like my living room. For me, it's clearly the number one race track in the world. It's uncanny how I always seem to have special moments there - my debut, my first win, a world championship victory and many great races."

He added: "The fact I will also take part in my 300th grands prix at Spa was somehow almost inevitable and we will have to celebrate it in the right way.

"I'm proud to be just the second driver in the history of the sport to reach this milestone, and there's no question we are looking to have a particularly nice weekend.

"We delivered a good performance in Spa last year, so I'll be doing everything possible to drive a strong race again."

Last year, on another milestone when Schumacher celebrated the 20th anniversary of his F1 debut, the German finished fifth after starting from last on the grid.

An accident - caused by a faulty right-rear wheel attachment - just 90 seconds into qualifying pitched Schumacher into a wall, severely compromising a race in which he still produced a fine drive.

Ahead of Schumacher's latest landmark, team principal Ross Brawn said: "For the second year in succession, Spa will be a special occasion for Michael and the team as we follow his 20th anniversary last year by celebrating his 300th grands prix this time around.

"It is a fantastic achievement which has so far only been matched by one other driver, and we look forward to celebrating with him, and hopefully a strong weekend."

1Comment
01/09/2012 08:53
avatar
That should'nt be allowed as  he retired, so comin back should'nt count
Report
Please help us to maintain a healthy and vibrant community by reporting any illegal or inappropriate behavior. If you believe a message violates theCode of Conductplease use this form to notify the moderators. They will investigate your report and take appropriate action. If necessary, they report all illegal activity to the proper authorities.
Categories
100 character limit
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
10 reasons to make MSN UK your homepage (© Microsoft)

latest f1 news

  • Toto Wolff confirmed there will be no pre-race agreements between Mercedes' drivers

    Nico Rosberg has been spared any on-track punishment following his collision with team-mate Lewis Hamilton in the controversial Belgian Grand Prix.

  • Nico Rosberg, right, has apologised for his collision with Lewis Hamilton at the Belgian Grand Prix

    Mercedes have decided to allow feuding team-mates Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg to continue to race this season following clear-the-air talks on Friday.

  • Red Bull team principal Christian Horner, pictured, is delighted to see Bernie Ecclestone running F1 full time again

    Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has welcomed the full-time return of Bernie Ecclestone's hand on the Formula One tiller.

  • Max Chilton was forced to look on from the pitwall in first practice at Spa last weekend as Alexander Rossi drove his car

    Alexander Rossi still has belief he will become the first American for many years to compete in Formula One before too long.

  • Caterham face a potential legal battle after axing a number of employees

    A group of former Caterham staff have started employment tribunal proceedings against the Formula One team in an effort to settle a bitter row.

  • Talks over a new Mercedes deal for Lewis Hamilton have been placed on hold

    Mercedes are to wait until this year's Formula One championship fight has been resolved before continuing new contract talks with Lewis Hamilton.

  • Ron Dennis may have to be patient to re-sign Fernando Alonso, pictured, for McLaren

    McLaren Group chairman and CEO Ron Dennis has hinted he is prepared to bide his time to land either Fernando Alonso or Sebastian Vettel.

  • The current campaign may be Jenson Button's last in Formula One

    Jenson Button has revealed for the first time he could be forced to retire from Formula One at the end of the season.

  • Former team principal Martin Whitmarsh has finally parted company with McLaren

    Martin Whitmarsh has officially parted company with McLaren after more than 24 years of service.

  • Lewis Hamilton insists he will keep it clean in his Formula One title fight with Nico Rosberg

    Lewis Hamilton has promised he will not be seeking revenge against Nico Rosberg following his Mercedes team-mate's actions in Sunday's controversial Belgian Grand Prix.

  • Mercedes motorsport Toto Wolff  left  and non-executive chairman Niki Lauda believe they can restore peace between feuding drivers Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton

    Toto Wolff and Niki Lauda are confident they can resolve the latest crisis involving warring drivers Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg.

  • Lewis Hamilton, front, was hit on lap two by Nico Rosberg  AP

    Lewis Hamilton sensationally claimed Nico Rosberg deliberately crashed into him in Sunday's controversial Belgian Grand Prix.

  • Jenson Button feels for his former team-mate Lewis Hamilton over his run of bad luck

    Jenson Button has admitted feeling sorry for Lewis Hamilton after watching his former team-mate's Formula One world title hopes suffer a string of crushing blows.

  • Lewis Hamilton qualified second for the Belgian Grand Prix  AP

    Lewis Hamilton believes his latest qualifying issue may yet prove to be "a blessing in disguise".

  • McLaren's Jenson Button, left, feels former team-mate Lewis Hamilton, right has been handed a raw deal with luck of late

    Jenson Button has admitted feeling sorry for Lewis Hamilton after watching his former team-mate's Formula One world title hopes suffer a string of crushing blows.