Updated: 12/07/2012 07:37 | By pa.press.net

Webber signs new Red Bull deal



Mark Webber has signed a new one-year contract with Red Bull

Mark Webber has signed a new one-year contract with Red Bull

Mark Webber has ended speculation surrounding his future by signing a new one-year contract with Red Bull Racing for 2013.

Australian Webber, who claimed the ninth victory of his Formula One career on Sunday by taking the chequered flag in the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, had been linked with a move to Ferrari next year.

But the 35-year-old, firmly in the title hunt this season as he trails Ferrari's Fernando Alonso by 13 points in the standings, has opted to remain with Red Bull for what will now be a seventh season.

Webber, who hinted over the weekend he was close to tying up his future, said: "I've been with Red Bull Racing since 2007 and have achieved nine grand prix wins during that time.

"I'm high on confidence at the moment and firing on all cylinders. I know the team well and I'm very comfortable here. We have grown together over the years and it feels like absolutely the right thing to stay with Red Bull for another season.

"The team is constantly working hard to improve in all areas and we've shown that together we can win races. It's great to be able to make this announcement off the back of the win in Silverstone at the weekend and I'm looking forward to competing on the edge and pushing myself in every race again next season."

Horner, who last week said Webber's motivation and driving this season could not be faulted, has moved quickly this year to secure his services.

Horner said: "Mark has driven very well in the first nine races of this season and his performance has been impressive. Much of his Formula One success has been during his time with Red Bull Racing and together we have achieved 10 poles, nine wins and 31 podiums.

"As there was a strong desire from both sides to continue the partnership, it was a logical decision to extend our relationship and it is with great pleasure we confirm Mark will drive for us in 2013."

With team-mate Sebastian Vettel already contracted to Red Bull Racing until the end of 2014, the Milton Keynes-based marque are the first team to confirm their 2013 driver line-up.

5Comments
10/07/2012 14:24
avatar
Well done Mark, wish you all the success possible for the remainder of the F1 season.
10/07/2012 14:20
avatar
Pleased for him, but he'll only ever be Red Bulls No. 2 while that other pratt is there. Sorry! but that's how I feel about Vettel my opinion and if it isn't yours, then please keep your comments civil.
10/07/2012 15:16
avatar
Well done Mark! Why would you want to leave a winning team to join the 'dancing donkey', which has had its' day,  and 'cry-baby' Alonso who would quite happily stab you in the back? Never forget how 'cry-baby' cost his partner, Hamilton, the world championship when he was at Mclaren.
10/07/2012 15:28
avatar
whats wrong with redbull,1 year are you sure mark is a star , sign him longer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
16/07/2012 22:12
avatar
webber has more talent than vettel, So mark year on year contract, Your worth more that that.
Report
Please help us to maintain a healthy and vibrant community by reporting any illegal or inappropriate behavior. If you believe a message violates theCode of Conductplease use this form to notify the moderators. They will investigate your report and take appropriate action. If necessary, they report all illegal activity to the proper authorities.
Categories
100 character limit
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
10 reasons to make MSN UK your homepage (© Microsoft)

latest f1 news

  • Lewis Hamilton is currently second in the standings

    Lewis Hamilton is hoping his recent victory in Bahrain has delivered a psychological blow to Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg as they scrap over this year's Formula One world title.

  • Christian Horner, left, says Adrian Newey, right, is 'passionate' about Formula One

    Christian Horner is adamant the genius behind Red Bull's dominance in recent years has not lost his appetite for success.

  • Luca di Montezemolo is not alone in his condemnation of the new-look Formula 1

    Ferrari president Luca Di Montezemolo has found a new ally in his war on the current state of Formula One.

  • Red Bull lost their appeal against Daniel Ricciardo's disqualification at the Australia Grand Prix

    Red Bull will move forward following their failed appeal against Daniel Ricciardo's disqualification from last month's season-opening Australian Grand Prix in order to focus on this weekend's race in China.

  • Stefano Domenicali has stepped down from his role as team principal of Ferrari

    Stefano Domenicali said it was time for a "significant change" as he announced his resignation as team principal of Ferrari.

  • Bob Bell will leave Mercedes at the end of the 2014 season

    Technical director Bob Bell is to leave Mercedes at the end of the Formula One season and will not be replaced.

  • Christian Horner, right, believes Daniel Ricciardo's disqualification from the Australian Grand Prix can be overturned

    Red Bull are expected to find out on Tuesday whether they have won their appeal against Daniel Ricciardo's disqualification from the Australian Grand Prix.

  • Gene Haas will have a car on the Formula One grid next season

    The United States is to finally have a team on the Formula One grid from 2015 after the FIA accepted the entry of NASCAR guru Gene Haas.

  • Pastor Maldonado, pictured, ran into the side of Esteban Gutierrez on lap 40 in Bahrain

    Pastor Maldonado has cleared the air with Esteban Gutierrez in the wake of their spectacular crash in Bahrain on Sunday.

  • Daniel Ricciardo, pictured, has impressed Red Bull team principal Christian Horner

    Red Bull team principal Christian Horner feels Daniel Ricciardo has already exceeded expectations this season.

  • Paddy Lowe says Formula One is about developing technology

    Mercedes executive technical director Paddy Lowe has described as "absurd" the possibility of changes being made to the latest regulations for the 2015 Formula One season.

  • Dan Fallows is Red Bull's new head of aerodynamics

    Dan Fallows has returned to Red Bull to become the team's new head of aerodynamics.

  • Bernie Ecclestone, left, and Jean Todt, right, were at the heart of the politicking that unfolded in Bahrain

    Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has dismissed suggestions a war is looming on the horizon with the FIA and president Jean Todt.

  • Fernando Alonso is convinced Ferrari can return to the front

    Fernando Alonso has called on Ferrari to work "day and night" in an attempt to fire the ailing marque back to the front of the grid.

  • Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff is exploring the possibility of new sponsorship deals in the Middle East

    Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff has revealed the team are eager to break into Formula One's burgeoning Middle-Eastern market.