Updated: 15/09/2012 07:23 | By pa.press.net

Fighting Freddie under fire



Former England captain Andrew Flintoff is set to make his professional boxing debut

Former England captain Andrew Flintoff is set to make his professional boxing debut

Frank Warren and David Price have dismissed Andrew Flintoff's professional debut as "car crash television".

Former England cricket captain Flintoff has applied for his boxing license and is due to fight at the MEN Arena on November 30 against an opponent yet to be named.

BoxNation will screen the 34-year-old's first outing in the sport, but Warren has reservations about the event. "For me it's car crash television, I'll be blunt about it," the promoter said.

"I'm not taking anything away from him, it's being shown on BoxNation which I'm involved in, but I won't be promoting it."

Price, the British and Commonwealth heavyweight champion, insists Flintoff is only justified in fighting if his motives are genuine.

"Freddie's as entitled as anyone to try it out and some people come to professional boxing later in life," Price said.

"But if it's just some type of PR stunt then it's disrespectful to boxing. The reality is he could get hurt if there's someone in front of him who'll stand up and throw punches back. It's car crash TV but will probably get people watching."

Warren is attempting to sign Anthony Joshua, who won heavyweight gold at London 2012 last month, to his stable of fighters.

"Joshua should turn pro as soon as possible. I don't see the point of him boxing on until the next Olympics in 2016," Warren said.

"All he'll be doing if he stays an amateur is fighting the same guys for the next four years."

0Comments
10 reasons to make MSN UK your homepage (© Microsoft)

latest sport news

  • Mercedes' silver star looks set to keep shining over Hamilton for some time to come

    Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg are both determined to claim a win in Hungary this weekend that will put them in good spirits heading into Formula One's summer break.

  • Sergio Perez has no doubt he will be racing in front of his own fans in Mexico next year

    Sergio Perez has no doubt the newly-announced Mexican Grand Prix will go ahead next season following its false start of a year ago.

  • Felipe Massa, pictured, feels Kevin Magnussen is to blame for their crash at the German Grand Prix

    Felipe Massa has refused to back down in his condemnation of Kevin Magnussen following their first-corner collision in Germany.