AVB keen to resolve Modric saga
Andre Villas-Boas is focused on Tottenham's game with Newcastle on Saturday
Andre Villas-Boas insists the Luka Modric transfer saga will not disrupt preparations for his first match in charge of Tottenham this weekend.
Real Madrid are closing in on the signature of Modric after Villas-Boas revealed that talks with the Spanish champions regarding a deal for the playmaker are progressing well. Villas-Boas, however, played down reports that Modric is undergoing a medical in Spain.
Villas-Boas hopes the player's exit will be finalised soon to leave him to be able to concentrate on his Tottenham bow at Newcastle on Saturday. "No, this is not a distraction," Villas-Boas told a press conference. "We set out a plan for the player and we have stuck to it. The player is training individually and he doesn't disrupt our environment."
He added: "I think we will have a conclusion in the next couple of weeks. We expect him here to train. He is still a Tottenham player but from what the chairman has told me talks are ongoing, they stalled a little bit two weeks ago, but they have picked up recently."
Modric, who was fined and forced to train on his own after refusing to go on tour with Tottenham, now looks set to get his dream move after a compromise deal of just over £30million appears to be close to completion.
Villas-Boas would like the situation resolved as soon as possible so he can use the funds to buy a replacement for Modric and bulk up a squad that currently has only one recognised striker in Jermain Defoe.
"Obviously we have outlined a couple of solutions (for a Modric replacement)," Villas-Boas added. "We have made initial contact with a couple of clubs but I think before this situation is resolved we can't do anything because we already have a certain amount of players in that position."
Villas-Boas, who was sacked by Chelsea in March after just nine months in charge, insists he is not panicking about his striker shortage and is confident that youngster Harry Kane is now good enough to play in the Barclays Premier League.
"I have spoken to Jermain and his agent about the situation. The talks were positive," Villas-Boas said. "Obviously we are looking for one more striker because we need one. Jermain scored 18 goals last year. He was a key player and will continue to be. That's the expectancy I have with regards to his future."
Villas-Boas remains hopeful that Emmanuel Adebayor, who was on loan at White Hart Lane last year, could sign next week, however.
related stories on msn
Huddlestone has been sidelined though injury for almost a year,but played in the friendly
match against Stevenage recently.