Martinez fined over comments
Roberto Martinez was critical of the referee's performance after Wigan's 4-0 defeat at Manchester United
Wigan manager Roberto Martinez has been fined £10,000 after admitting a charge of misconduct in relation to comments made after his side's game against Manchester United last month, the Football Association have confirmed.
A statement on the FA website read: "The charge was in relation to a breach of FA Rule E3 concerning media comments which implied that the match referee and/or match officials in general are motivated by bias and/or brought the game into disrepute. Martinez, who had requested a personal hearing, was also warned as to his future conduct."
The Spaniard was frustrated after his side's 4-0 defeat at Old Trafford, during which England striker Danny Welbeck was awarded a controversial penalty following what seemed to be minimal contact from Ali Al Habsi.
Speaking to reporters after the match, Martinez said: "You know what he is trying to do. I have come to United three times before today and for whatever reason we don't seem to be measured in the same manner as the team at home.
"Today the penalty is as bad a decision as you are going to see in the Premier League.
"In many ways, you feel as though you are fighting against a mountain."
related stories on msn
1. Mike Dean, referee, when Blackburn beat Manchester United 3-2 and hasn't refereed a Manchester United game since.
2. Mike Dean - referee, in 2010, after Manchester United's defeat to Chelsea, was demoted to the Championship.
3. Alan Wiley, called "fat and unfit" by Alex after Manchester United's draw with Sunderland," agreed to retire" that season, he was also the ref on OT when the mancs lost 1-4 to Liverpool.
5. Martin Atkinson -Involved in Manchester United's defeat to Chelsea, criticized by Alex, hasn't refereed Manchester United game since.
6. Ex referee Jeff Winter openly stating that he hadn't been given a Manchester United game for 2 years after sending Roy Keane off.
7. Howard Webb has been Manchester United's most used referee since the defeat to Manchester City.
8. More than 18% of the penalties Webb has awarded in his 8 year career have been to Manchester United.
9. Manchester United's CEO is on the board of The FA.
10. Alex Ferguson not happy with Chris Foy, Foy referees a League Two game. something he hasn't done since the 2001-02 season..
something we all already knew but there in simple BLACK AND WHITE
Well if he had slagged, say, Liverpool of and Suarez, he'd been given 8 (Bonus) points lol.
Just another showing how senile and bias this old brigade of the FA are. Fergie has voiced times worst.... many times and nary a word said. No not a Man U hater, just a realist speaking the truth!
No I'm not a scouser or Liverpool fan either. Just saying how it actually is!
Telling the truth like Roberto Martinez... but not getting the flack from the FA ...
Watch this space.....
Refs to Alex "Glad we could give you all the decisions again Sir"
Alex to Refs "what time are you all coming round to lick my a**e"
Refs to Alex "Same time as always sir, 7pm licky licky slurp slurp
Fergie gets away with Murder he has even tried change the rules on timekeeping this week because united lost, He has abused refs and linesmen for over 20 years very little or nothing is done about it. Mr martinez is not alone in his thinking M.U.get all the pens for and against go their way,if they dont Fergie abuses the refs or linesmen, its called MINDGAMES,HE IS HAS DONE IT FOR 20 YEARS,ITS ABOUT TIME THE REFS HAD A GOOD LOOK AT THEMSELVES AND STARTED BEING FAIR IN UNITED GAMES.
Seems you can't say what you think these days, without getting fined!
Dumbing down of society.