Latest sports news
- Becks handed captain's armband
- Ruthless Bantams secure promotion
- Rooney no longer Ferguson's problem
- Button on track for Honda reunion
- Ferrari hit out at tyre critics
- Brawn reveals work on car's pace
- Late wickets leave England sweating
- Anderson: There's more to come
- Sussex wrap up convincing victory
- Wilkinson leads Toulon to European glory
- Sexton intrigued by O'Gara move
- Leinster achieve unique double
A fan has been charged after running onto the field and fracturing Steaua Bucharest defender George Galamaz's cheekbone.
When fans attack
Prosecutors claim that Dragos Petrut Enache, charged with disturbing public order and committing violence, was on drugs when he struck Galamaz with a hard object - said to be a metal box - during Sunday's match. He had entered the field after Steaua, who were leading 1-0 at Petrolul Ploiesti, were awarded a controversial penalty.
"He [Galamaz] suffered a cheekbone fracture and he'll be recovering for six weeks," Steaua sporting director Narcis Raducan told the media in Romania.
The attack prompted the Steaua players to retaliate. Defender Novak Martinovic, who kicked Enache while he was on the floor, was sent off along with goalkeeper Razvan Stanca. Police moved in to break up the fracas and remove the supporter from the field.
Play was restarted but the match, at the Ilie Oana stadium, was abandoned before half-time when the home fans threw flares onto the field. One struck Steaua goalkeeper Ciprian Tatarusanu, causing severe burns, and a 20-minute delay ensued before the decision was taken to call off the game.
Steaua owner Gigi Becali pointed the finger at referee Robert Dumitru and said he "threw the match off balance".
Who's been the best English player this season?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- Steven Gerrard
- Michael Carrick
- Leighton Baines