Updated: 25/04/2013 17:10 | By pa.press.net

Khan: Bout sets up world title shot



Amir Khan. pictured, takes on Julio Diaz this weekend in his first fight in the UK for two years

Amir Khan. pictured, takes on Julio Diaz this weekend in his first fight in the UK for two years

Amir Khan expects to get back into world title contention with victory over Mexico's Julio Diaz this weekend.

The former world light welterweight champion is rebuilding his career after controversially losing his WBA and IBF belts to Lamont Peterson in 2011 and then failing to take the WBC equivalent off Danny Garcia last year. He began his road back to the top by stopping Carlos Molina last December and Garcia could come back into his sights if he can overcome Diaz in Sheffield.

The 25-year-old said: "This fight will straight away elevate us back into world-title fights. But I am not thinking any further than this fight yet. I just want to get through this one and then we will know exactly where we are."

The fight at the Motorpoint Arena, billed as 'The Return of the King', will be Khan's first in the UK for two years.

The non-title bout has been set at a 143-pound "catch weight" - between super lightweight and welterweight - with Khan stepping up and California-based veteran Diaz, a former world lightweight champion, coming down in weight from his most recent fights.

Khan said: "I need to thank Julio Diaz for coming all the way from America. Not many fighters do what I do - I go to their hometown or home country and fight them there, with my world titles.

"But no-one likes to come to me and fight in my home country, so it is great Julio Diaz has shown bottle and come over."

The fight is the highlight of a packed card which also sees Khan's younger brother Haroon make his professional debut in a four-round super flyweight contest against Bulgaria's Stefan Slavchev.

Haroon Khan, 21, won 66 fights as an amateur and Amir thinks he is ready for the step up.

Amir Khan said: "As long as he is disciplined and trains hard I am sure he can go all the way. I want to advise him from day one, all the way to the top."

0Comments
10 reasons to make MSN UK your homepage (© Microsoft)

latest sport news

  • Alastair Cook's England suffered a six-wicket ODI defeat to India

    Frustrated Alastair Cook warns England must urgently start playing to their potential to avoid more setbacks they can ill afford on their road to the World Cup.

  • Alastair Cook was left to reflect on another defeat

    Flat England took the fast track to a six-wicket defeat in the third Royal London Series match after getting into a costly tangle against India's spinners at Trent Bridge.

  • Thisara Perera took four wickets as Sri Lanka hammered Pakistan

    Pakistan succumbed to their lowest one-day score in five years as a pathetic 102 all out helped Sri Lanka claim a seven-wicket victory in the series decider in Dambulla.

  • Toto Wolff confirmed there will be no pre-race agreements between Mercedes' drivers

    Nico Rosberg has been spared any on-track punishment following his collision with team-mate Lewis Hamilton in the controversial Belgian Grand Prix.

  • Nico Rosberg, right, has apologised for his collision with Lewis Hamilton at the Belgian Grand Prix

    Mercedes have decided to allow feuding team-mates Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg to continue to race this season following clear-the-air talks on Friday.

  • Red Bull team principal Christian Horner, pictured, is delighted to see Bernie Ecclestone running F1 full time again

    Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has welcomed the full-time return of Bernie Ecclestone's hand on the Formula One tiller.

  • Jim Mallinder believes Aviva Premiership fixtures could be completed alongside Rugby World Cup 2015 action

    Global bosses could allow the Aviva Premiership to kick off during the knockout stages of Rugby World Cup 2015 in a bid to diffuse England's latest club-versus-country row.

  • Roger Lewis, left, believes a new peace deal is positive

    Welsh rugby has finally agreed a peace deal with 10 players receiving dual contracts in a six-year £60million-plus agreement.

  • Bernard Lapasset believes the name change will help rugby grow

    The International Rugby Board is to be renamed 'World Rugby' from November 19 in a move described by chairman Bernard Lapasset as a "mission statement".