Driver bailed in Olympics bus probe
The scene near the Olympic Park in Stratford where the driver of an official Olympic bus was arrested after a cyclist was knocked down and killed
The driver of an official Olympic bus has been questioned after a cyclist was knocked down and killed.
The 28-year-old died on Wednesday night after being hit by a bus ferrying journalists between Olympic venues.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said a man in his mid-60s was arrested at the scene, just outside the Olympic Park in Stratford, east London at 9.28pm on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving. The victim was struck by the double-decker just after 7.30pm.
He was not believed to be an athlete, and is expected to be formally identified later.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said the man was pronounced dead at the scene in Ruckholt Road, at the junction with the A12. The collision is being investigated by the Met's traffic investigation unit.
The driver has been bailed pending further inquiries to a date in August, police said.
In the wake of the fatal incident, Olympic gold medal-winning cyclist Bradley Wiggins was asked for his views on the safety of London's roads for cyclists. He said: "It's dangerous and London is a busy city and a lot of traffic. I think we have to help ourselves sometimes.
"I haven't lived in London for 10 to 15 years now and it's got a lot busier since I was riding a bike as a kid round here, and I got knocked off several times. But I think things are improving to a degree - there are organisations out there who are attempting to make the roads safer for both parties.
"But at the end of the day we've all got to co-exist on the roads. Cyclists are not ever going to go away as much as drivers moan, and as much as cyclists maybe moan about certain drivers they are never going to go away, so there's got to be a bit of give and take."
Wiggins said he would like to see the introduction of a law making it compulsory to wear cycling helmets.
latest olympic videos
Organisers of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow have vowed there will be no repeat of the ticketing problems which blighted last year's Olym... More Organisers of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow have vowed there will be no repeat of the ticketing problems which blighted last year's Olympics in London. 0 per cent of tickets for next summer's event will be open to the public to buy, with prices for ad
Date 13/05/13, Duration 1:09, Views 45