Updated: 12/08/2012 07:36 | By pa.press.net

GB's Campbell wins boxing gold

Luke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competition

Luke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competition

He dismissed the suggestion knowing Nevin so well was to his advantage.

11/08/2012 23:48

Mo Farah was born in Somalia and brought over to Britain when he was 8 years old.

By his Father ..... Who was born in Hounslow England.

So Mo Farah can compete for which ever country he likes, and i find it insulting for British people

to assume because of the colour of someone's skin, that they are not British.

I am of Irish and Welsh decent .... Born in England .

But if i chose to compete for Ireland or Wales i could do !!!

As you are aloud to compete one generation back.

So Mo Farah had the choice to of competing for Somalia or England.

Lucky for us he chose England .

So in future please read up on your facts, ignorance and racism together is not a good trait.

11/08/2012 21:33
wow great fight luke well done , all the best and enjoy , from one hessle roader to another.....
11/08/2012 23:54

Define British....we're all immigrants here. My family are Irish and Gibraltarian. I'd have given anything to stand on that podium seeing the union flag raised due to my efforts. I'd have wept too.

Its a matter of attitude. If you were born here and want to contribute to this country and be a part of us then as far as I'm concerned you're British. If you want to belong to somewhere else then feel free to go there.

11/08/2012 23:10
I too am British born but like Mo my parents and roots are in Somaliland, not Somalia and all I can say is congratulations to the fella. All this malarky about "oh, he is somalian" and "but his birth certificate says this" have no meaning as he is running under the great britian flag and by winning the double gold he is simply giving something back to the country that helped him in his time of need just as I hope to oneday after university have an impact on society as repayment and gratitude for what this country done for my family in a desperate time of war. Haters can hate Mo but the lad done well and please dont bring politics into sport as it tends to be ugly. Just because he was born somewhere does not mean that it takes anything away from his achievement just as I would put the Union Jack over my shoulders just as I would the red, white and green of Somaliland
11/08/2012 21:46
Another GOLD !!!! great result !!!  Well done !!!
11/08/2012 21:58
Great Britain have done very well in this Olympics. Maybe with it being here it gave them the extra incentive and backing to do their best in front of home support. I've been very impressed with the whole Games. More large sporting events should come here. The infrastructure is here.
12/08/2012 01:21
Well done to both boxers. I thought they both represented the sport of amateur boxing with pride. Luke boxed a  good bout but unfortunately John Joe boxed his final in the semi final. England should be proud in the way the Olympics were organised. Thats not to easy to say coming from a proud Irish man. But seriously I was proud to hear Irish fans cheer for their GB counterparts and GB fans cheer for their Irish counterparts throughout the boxing. The only true sport throughout the troubles in the North of Ireland was boxing and it unified the community. i have no hesitation in stating that amateur boxing in GB and Ireland are under funded because boxing is not percieved as politically correct. Amateur boxing is totally different from Professional boxing in that it is more controlled and disciplined and the safety of the boxers is paramount at all times. Ireland and GB have punched above their weights in amateur boxing in the  Olympics and both Nations should be very proud of their boxing competitors. I would ask all readers of MSN TO SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BOXING CLUB.
11/08/2012 22:34

Brilliant Win

Ed McKeever Mo and Daley

What a night

Fooking love this country

11/08/2012 23:20
Adam W

Many people will disagree with you and give him the accolade that he deserves. This country on the whole accepts that you run your heart out for the flag and the country, do your best and you will be duly rewarded. I don't think anybody cheering takes into consideration his colour or background, thank goodness. He is much loved and popular. The only colour that matters is Red, White and Blue. He came here as a refugee because of war torn Somalia with nothing and unable to speak much English. He has turned himself into a British hero through hard work. That as much as anything is what is being celebrated tonight.
11/08/2012 23:34
Well done mate, being a sclouse girl with big Irish roots i wasnt sure who i was shouting for but so proud of the way you both fought, and I think the result was fair, you were the slightly better boxer on the night , Congrats to you Luke, well deserved : )
11/08/2012 23:16
Well done to Luke Campbell.........I don't think he knew quite how to react when presented with his medal and the National Anthem played, bless...........shy and overwhelmed I should imagine.
12/08/2012 02:46
GOOD FIGHT LUKE ! GREAT TO SEE SOME GOOD CLEAN FIGHTING FOR A CHANGE.
WISH YOU THE BEST IN LIFE. LOOKS LIKE YOUR HARD WORK PAID OFF AT LAST.

12/08/2012 01:45
Can this games get any better? well done team GB if you won a medal of any colour or not the whole country is proud of you all
12/08/2012 10:45
a massive big fat congratulations luke.........from us here in west hull ****
11/08/2012 22:19

Campbell wins boxing gold, but Mohamed Farah made definitely amazed job for the country and beat the deadly talented Kenyans and Ethiopian. He wins double gold so we better see the wider picture guys.

12/08/2012 00:31
This thread is about Luke Campbell, congrats to you and all the other boxers, one of my favourite sports. Hope all you guys can do your Olympic Medals ( be they Gold, Silver and Bronze) justice and hopefully turn pro, well done.
However, I appreciate the comments made by Carl Madigan and Christine Walker. Glad to know that not everybody thinks in a negative and bigoted way, and that your comments ( on here at least) counter the ignorance posted.

12/08/2012 11:31
HULL is massively proud of you luke well done mate
12/08/2012 11:03
Absolutely fantastic Luke. So proud of you.
12/08/2012 15:51
Amazing result - yet again so proud of all our competitors, no matter what their origin.  As it is, we all come from Africa........just saying!!
12/08/2012 18:34
I think your all completely missing the point. I feel like the country cheated by letting Mo run for Britain but its not his fault is the people who choose the athletes to represesnt. Mo is an amazing athlete and the fact that he wants to run for Britain is great but from my point of view he isnt british. If it was case of anyone who feels like they belong to any country regardless of background then whats the point in the olympians competing for countries is should just be for individuals also countries will start buying people from different countries to compete if they arnt already. If a british man born in england won a medal for china for example everybody would be saying he isnt chinese clearly that dosnt count. Each country has its own traits and excells in some sport becasue of our different genes and the way we grow up.
GB's Campbell wins boxing goldBattling boxer Luke Campbell earned Team GB another gold after a noisy Anglo-Irish tear-up at London 2012.pa.press.net2012-08-12T07:36:132012-08-12T07:36:13Luke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionBattling boxer Luke Campbell earned Team GB another gold after a noisy Anglo-Irish tear-up at London 2012.Campbell, 24, from Hull, overcame Ireland's John Joe Nevin who had to settle for silver in the 56kg bantamweight competition.Home favourite Campbell was cheered on by a passionate local support - equally matched by followers of Irish traveller Nevin. But it was the Union flags held highest after judges gave the decision 14-11 to Campbell to the delight of the majority of the 10,000 sell-out crowd at the ExCel arena.Campbell raised his hands in triumph - then burst into tears as the crowd chanted "Campbell! Campbell!"Both men embraced after the bout, the fighters having resumed their friendly rivalry, with Yorkshireman Campbell, also having Irish roots and his family back in Ireland friends with Nevin's family.Campbell told BBC1: "It's something I've worked for all my life and I can't believe it's here."He dismissed the suggestion knowing Nevin so well was to his advantage.He added: "You can look at it both ways. He knows me really well as well. So we both knew each other."He's a top, top fighter, a very tough fighter. It was a very difficult fight, very technical. He's a very strong fighter, strong at punching so I had to be aware of that."I had to be on my game to win and tonight I was on my game. I can't believe it, I appreciate all the support here and back home in Hull."seo_keywordsGB Boxing Campbell Sa21Luke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competitionLuke Campbell won gold in the men's bantamweight competition