Updated: 26/07/2012 07:08 | By pa.press.net

Idowu saga rumbles on

Phillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifying

Phillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifying

26/07/2012 04:59
@Ian Swan: What does his name have to do with anything? All season, Idowu has not bothered to turn up at meetings, and has run his self publicity on the hotbed of illiteracy that is "Twatter". Having seen a couple of his posts on the TV news, his time would be better spent going back to school, and learning English (which Van Commenee speaks better than he does). He should never have been selected in the first place. Van Commeee should kick him out, regardless of what the "nation" thinks. I'm Scottish, not "british", and won't be supporting them whether Idowu goes, or not. In any other sport, if an athlete decided to go his own way, and conduct his business via the internet, behind the boss's back, he'd be out of the team. It's not too late, Charles.
26/07/2012 09:53

What is at the back of most peoples' minds is "Is he trying to escape a drugs test?" This may be totally unjust, but it happened with the two Greek athletes just before the Athens games, and this has not been forgotten.

In my opinion Phillips must either conform to the BOA rules or pull out gracefully. Otherwise, regrettably,he must be removed from the Team. It's up to you Phillips.

26/07/2012 09:16

Charles van Commenee is 100% right. Says he could withdraw Philips name, so that to most is doing the right thing.

But is it? I question that in as much as he may well be setting an unwarrented precedent.

Think the arrogance Philip is outrageous  and should be made an example of.

He won't win Gold, or even a medal that is a certainty. He isn't on his best ever jump top class now.

Think it would have been better giving another his place. Ok so they won't win gold either, but would gain good expierence.

Philip I think further is just setting the stage for another under performance and failure. He has only ever produce one big jump  - his first usually - at any meeting. Has shown any good performances to warrant his place that's for sure, and now he is sticking two fingers up - needlessly - not only at Charles van Commenee, but this nation as well. Remove him and let's have dome with his childish and silly stupidity of making senseless and unwarrented gestures.

26/07/2012 09:11
idowu will not be competing in the olympics and he knows it. he is just wasting his time trying to convince selectors he's ok.how can anyone whos having treatment be fit.selectors should of chucked him out a long time ago and give someone else a chance.this athlete has gone down in my books.
26/07/2012 02:36
With a name like Charles van Commenee I don't think he will be bothered if he sanctions Phillips and we lose out on the opportunity of a Gold!!! Full of self importance more like???
Idowu saga rumbles onA real circus was setting up on the edge of the Portuguese town which plays host to the training camp for Britain's athletes on Wednesday, but the one surrounding the fitness of triple jumper Phillips Idowu remained centre stage.pa.press.net2012-07-26T07:08:092012-07-26T07:08:09Phillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingA real circus was setting up on the edge of the Portuguese town which plays host to the training camp for Britain's athletes on Wednesday, but the one surrounding the fitness of triple jumper Phillips Idowu remained centre stage.Idowu has not travelled to Monte Gordo after opting to remain in London and continue treatment on a hip injury, The British Olympic Association (BOA) have requested to see Idowu's medical records and could ask the 33-year-old to undergo a fitness test before triple jump qualifying on August 7.And UK Athletics head coach Charles van Commenee says the matter is now in the BOA's hands after deciding to select Idowu for the Games, but admitted the situation is undermining the "proper governance" of athletics.Speaking as news emerged that Dave Webb had been deselected from the marathon for a lack of fitness, Van Commenee said: "We have a selection document. I think it's 27 pages."I have one sanction. Not to enter him into the Games. I decided not to put that sanction into place because I feel I don't want to be in the way of this athlete to fulfil his dream."It's not great for athletics as a sport, it doesn't look good on anybody, but I have only one sanction and I decide not to play that card. Because of him, because of the crowd and because of the nation, because the nation will cry if he wins a medal."I can see the point of putting the sanction in place for clarity and long-term future and how we run and want to run the sport. The question is do I sacrifice a potential gold medallist for a transparent and clear policy that makes the sport easier to run in the future or not."And I decide to have sympathy and to give Phillips the chance to win. It's a difficult one because it's undermining how the sport should be run and proper governance. I don't feel my position has been undermined, but I could understand if people look at it that way."But we are in transition still. We have still a couple of older athletes who still struggle to buy into it 100%. I'm sure in two or three years time we'll run it as smooth as rowing or cycling, but you can't change that culture in two days."seo_keywordsAthletics Idowu W19Phillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifyingPhillips Idowu could be asked to undergo a fitness test prior to qualifying