Updated: 08/08/2012 12:42 | By pa.press.net

Idowu vows to continue despite exit

Phillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nerve

Phillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nerve

07/08/2012 16:50
now maybe they will remove his funding
07/08/2012 18:49
Do any of you criticising him actually have a clue about athletics, either the training, the selection process or the sport in general? If you have a problem that needs specialist physiotherapy you stay with that physio, you don't just follow the crowd. Athletics is a solo sport (except relays), you do what's best for you. Mo Farah used to be a very average athlete until he decided that the team's facilities/coaching weren't good enough and went to live and train in the U.S.A. I don't see anyone criticising him.

All this talk about giving up his place to someone else is bs, the team is selected far in advance and you can't just swap people around a week before. Regardless, whose place was he taking? We didn't even send one other athlete despite having the option to send three!

Every 4 years the Olympics come around and suddenly everyone's an expert.

07/08/2012 18:07
The man is an utter disgrace to Team GB he is no one special they all went to Portugal for 2 weeks training where was he its all about him and he got what he wanted news about him on national television he should never had been selected and i hope he never will.I am sure that their is some one else to take his place and they would work hard with their team mates enough said.
07/08/2012 17:05

He might have to actually find some meaningful employment that would only pay him a fraction of what he gets as a 'top' athlete.  He is a law unto himself and should not have been included in Team GB as soon as it was realised that he considered himself above the team.

07/08/2012 17:18
Should have voluntarily pulled out instead of hanging on and keeping everyone in the dark!  This is a TEAM, not a one man venture, the guy is a disgrace!  The selectors should also have just dropped him, I hope that he is excluded from subsequent events!
07/08/2012 17:00
if he knew he was injured or not 100% fit why did he enter the competition or why did the selectors let him enter,,,, utter DISGRACE
07/08/2012 17:15
Maybe he should get ove himself and ake advie from the TEAM coach as well as his trainer?  Still he is not the only one to have promised much ad delivered little because of "injury" probems!  If you are not fit enugh don't compete let someone else have a go, if there is smeone else that is!
07/08/2012 23:58

Your a prat mate!!
you knew you were not fit that is why you hid from everyone as long as you could.
You took the place of somone who could have done something with their effort.
You not only let yourself down but you ket the whole of the GB team and country down.

You would  have had more respect had you just admitted you were not fit.

07/08/2012 22:47
what a waste of time if he knew he wasnt fit why bother going and that goes for other athletes  perhaps we should have a new board of selectors
07/08/2012 17:39
08/08/2012 08:52

Pity - I wouldn't like to see him in a GB shirt again.

07/08/2012 18:32

Seems he was turned down for a singing role. When asked to do the singing scale, doh ray me, it just came out, me me me.

07/08/2012 21:34

I sincerely hope that they take stock and be clear about any other not being up front. A disgrace and fraud of money.just a selfish arrogant pratt who thought he was better than the rest of the gb setup turns out he is a waste of space and shouldnt be allowed to ever compete for gb again

Mike sums him and his cgharactor up a treat when posting

'.Why, for the funding money full stop. An under achiever, underperformer and underhanded regards the AAA Board.

Time they cut his money entirely, he will quickly crawl back under the rock ....

Yes has wo a bit, never a Johnnathon of course, but when under preasure always bottled iy 100%.

07/08/2012 20:10
just a selfish arrogant pratt who thought he was better than the rest of the gb setup turns out he is a waste of space  and shouldnt be allowed to ever compete for gb again
07/08/2012 21:41

P.M you keep the board informed and have an independant v alueation if one thinks he is coming it. Which he obviously was.  It was for the sake of Athletics and his name that keep this fruad afloat.

So don't spout rubbish like that, nor he's excuse of 'Difference of opinions, and not getting on with the boss. So what, prove your selve not a liar! Think any other will be pulled up in their tracks in future and quite rightly so. As for his funding, take it away and let him earn it to get it back. Past glories don't win medal, nor bonus points. Gosh we'll have Ovett back to show the spineless bradly how it's done with great funding next.

Idowu vows to continue despite exitBritain's Phillips Idowu insisted retirement was not on the agenda, despite failing to make it through in triple jump qualifying at the Olympics.pa.press.net2012-08-08T12:42:252012-08-08T12:42:25Phillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nerveBritain's Phillips Idowu insisted retirement was not on the agenda, despite failing to make it through in triple jump qualifying at the Olympics.The 33-year-old east London athlete, who is suffering from a trapped nerve, could only manage a best jump of 16.53 metres as he failed to finish in the top 12. The Beijing silver medallist produced a first-round jump of 16.47m and, after fouling in the second, went further with his third, but it was not far enough.Idowu ended up in 14th place, nine centimetres off 12th, and admitted the disappointment had "not sunk in". He said: "I struggled with some nervy pains and hadn't been 100%, but I always felt that if I was able to come here and be pain free I should be able to replicate what I've done in previous years."He went on: "My main goal was to be able to be here and be pain free and if I was I felt like the calibre of athlete I am and being such a big occasion that I would be able to pull something special out of the bag. But the timing just wasn't there for me."My preparation went well. I've been training every day and working hard. My strength levels and speed are great and I have been able to jump in training so with all of that I felt I was able to come out and put on a decent show but it just wasn't to happen."seo_keywordsIdowu out Tu20Phillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nervePhillips Idowu was hampered by a trapped nerve