Jordan withdraws sex charges men
Three Jordanian Paralympians have returned home
Three members of the Jordanian Paralympic squad charged with sex offences will not be taking part in the Games, organisers have confirmed.
Locog (London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games) said the Jordanian Paralympic Committee had withdrawn the men from their team for London 2012. The three, who appeared in court on Wednesday accused of committing a string of offences while in pre-Games training in Northern Ireland, are returning to Jordan.
"We have been informed by the Jordanian National Paralympic Committee that they will not be entering the athletes in question into the London 2012 Paralympic Games," said a Locog spokewoman. "The athletes have returned to Jordan."
Omar Sami Qaradhi, Faisal Hammash and Motaz Al Junaidi, all members of the Jordanian power-lifting squad, have been accused of a series of charges, including sexual assault and voyeurism, following complaints by two girls and two women in Antrim.
The three were released on combined bail and sureties of Â£5,500 each after appearing at Coleraine Magistrates' Court in Co Londonderry. They have to make weekly contact with the Jordanian embassy in London before their next appearance in court. The men are due back in court in Northern Ireland on October 18.
The Jordanian team has been training in Antrim in advance of the Paralympic Games. The three were detained on Monday for questioning by detectives from the Police Service of Northern Ireland. The Jordanian delegation arrived in Northern Ireland on August 8. The alleged offences took place between last Thursday and Monday.
Wheelchair user Omar Sami Qaradhi, 31, faces three charges of sexual assault, two against a child, and one of voyeurism after allegedly entering a women's changing room at the Antrim Forum leisure centre.
Faisal Hammash, 35, is accused of inciting two girls to engage in sexual activity. Power lifter Motaz Al Junaidi, 45, who is also a wheelchair user, is accused of sexual assault.
The three team members are flying to the Jordanian capital, Amman, on Thursday. The Jordanian Paralympic Committee said it would not have been appropriate for them to have taken part in London 2012.
"The president and board of the Jordanian Paralympic Committee (JPC) decided that, although the case will not be heard again in court until October 18, it would be inappropriate for the accused athletes to compete at the London 2012 Paralympic Games, so they will be sent home to Amman," said a committee statement.
That Jordan woman gets free publicity even when it is not her that is featured in an article.
Disgraceful behaviour, if proved correct, by our guests from another country and the Jordanian authoriites have reacted correctly to the alleged incident.
That spam lonely hearts dating agency post really is most inappropriate under the circumstances.
latest olympic videos
Organisers of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow have vowed there will be no repeat of the ticketing problems which blighted last year's Olym... More Organisers of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow have vowed there will be no repeat of the ticketing problems which blighted last year's Olympics in London. 0 per cent of tickets for next summer's event will be open to the public to buy, with prices for ad
Date 13/05/13, Duration 1:09, Views 45