Updated: 13/10/2012 16:59 | By pa.press.net

O'Neill to leave ARU post



John O'Neill will step down on October 31

John O'Neill will step down on October 31

John O'Neill has announced he is stepping down as the Australian Rugby Union's managing director and chief executive at the end of this month.

The long-serving O'Neill had originally planned to leave when his contract ended in late 2013 but his departure has been brought forward to October 31, 2012 after reaching an agreement with the ARU board.

O'Neill, who has spent two terms in the post between 1995-2004 and then again from 2007 until now, is to concentrate on other business interests.

Deputy chief executive Matt Carroll will take over as acting chief executive from November 1 while a "global search" is conducted for a long-term replacement.

ARU chairman Michael Hawker said: "John's workload beyond rugby has recently grown significantly, and unexpectedly, through his chairmanship of Echo Entertainment. John had previously indicated he was standing down when his contract ended next year, so the timing of his resignation is now logical for both him and the ARU."

Aside from focusing on his business interests, O'Neill will also serve as an ARU delegate to the International Rugby Board, chairman of the IRB regulations committee and a board member of Rugby World Cup.

"I am honoured during my second term at the ARU to have played a role in shaping the transformation of the game and I look forward to seeing Australian rugby go from strength to strength," O'Neill, 61, said.

"Australian rugby has a rich culture and a proud history, but we have also been working to rapidly modernise and evolve the game.

"I believe the key planks necessary to drive that development are in place, allowing my successor to build on the solid foundations rugby enjoys and take it to the next level of success.

"There are other challenges for me to pursue outside the game now, although my involvement at an IRB and Rugby World Cup Ltd level will ensure I have a strong ongoing connection."

0Comments
10 reasons to make MSN UK your homepage (© Microsoft)

latest rugby news

  • Former England and Gloucester winger James Simpson-Daniel has retired through injury

    Former England winger James Simpson-Daniel has announced his retirement because of an ankle injury, Gloucester Rugby confirmed on Tuesday.

  • Rhys Thomas retired from rugby in 2012

    Former Wales and Scarlets prop Rhys Thomas is undergoing surgery on Tuesday ahead of a heart transplant.

  • Johnny Sexton is a doubt for Ireland's autumn Test series after breaking his jaw

    Johnny Sexton faces a race against time to be fit for Ireland's autumn international Test series after breaking his jaw in club action with Racing Metro.

  • Nick Phipps will start for Australia

    Australia coach Ewen McKenzie has made four changes to his side to face South Africa as the Wallabies look to bounce back from their Rugby Championship drubbing against New Zealand.

  • Jon Fisher, centre, has joined Northampton Saints after leaving London Irish in the summer

    Northampton Saints have signed former London Irish flanker Jon Fisher ahead of the new Aviva Premiership campaign.

  • Phil Thiel, pictured, joins Saracens as short-term cover for Schalk Brits

    Saracens have signed US Eagles hooker Phil Thiel as short-term cover for Schalk Brits, who is on Rugby Championship duty with South Africa.

  • Eusebio Guinazu, left, has signed a short-term deal to join Munster

    Argentina hooker Eusebio Guinazu has signed for Munster on a four-month deal to offset Mike Sherry's long-term shoulder injury.

  • Pat Phibbs, centre, has started a second spell at Exeter Chiefs

    Pat Phibbs has returned to Exeter Chiefs on a trial basis to ease the Aviva Premiership club's scrum-half injury spate.

  • Jim Mallinder believes Aviva Premiership fixtures could be completed alongside Rugby World Cup 2015 action

    Global bosses could allow the Aviva Premiership to kick off during the knockout stages of Rugby World Cup 2015 in a bid to diffuse England's latest club-versus-country row.

  • Roger Lewis, left, believes a new peace deal is positive

    Welsh rugby has finally agreed a peace deal with 10 players receiving dual contracts in a six-year £60million-plus agreement.

  • Bernard Lapasset believes the name change will help rugby grow

    The International Rugby Board is to be renamed 'World Rugby' from November 19 in a move described by chairman Bernard Lapasset as a "mission statement".

  • Sam Burgess, pictured left, will start his rugby union career in the centres at Bath

    Sam Burgess will start his Bath career in the centres, but head coach Mike Ford still expects him to excel in the back-row.

  • Conor O'Shea, pictured, is not moved by Lawrence Dallaglio's critical comments

    Conor O'Shea has branded criticism from Lawrence Dallaglio for demoting Chris Robshaw as Harlequins captain as a "load of rubbish".

  • Quentin Smith insists talks between Premiership Rugby and the RFU over compensation are close to a conclusion

    Premiership Rugby has sought to defuse tension over the payment of World Cup compensation by promising a swift resolution to negotiations with the Rugby Football Union.

  • Marland Yarde, pictured, has been tipped to secure a starting berth for England at next year's Rugby World Cup

    Jason Robinson believes new Harlequins signing Marland Yarde is in the perfect position to win the "shootout" for a place on the wing for England at Rugby World Cup 2015.